Monday, November 5, 2012

My 2nd Interview with an International Student

The first interview that I conducted with an international student from Guinea helped me to be better prepared for this second one with a former international student from the same country. During this second interview, I was aware of things that I need to cover, areas that I needed to improve on, and I was able to put things in motion so that the interview goes smoothly by being relaxed and helping my interviewee be at ease to get the best and accurate answers for my questions.
Preparations:
In order to be more efficient in this task, I started asking myself what is it that I wanted to accomplish. I came up with few objectives:
·         Find common points between my 1st and my 2nd interview (cross reference)
·         Find differences between the two(cross reference)
·         Ask the questions that I didn’t get a chance to cover during the 1st interview
·         Apply the feedback that I had received from the 1st interview
·         To make this experience fun, enjoyable while remaining focus and answer any question that my interviewee might have for me.
The next step was my list of questions. Since that I already had one for my 1st interview , I reviewed it and added few more questions on it hoping that this interviewee will help me get the answers that I was looking for about Guinea.
Based on the answers that I was able to obtain during my 1st interview and my personal notes from a previous trip to Guinea. I combined them for my preparation prior to the interview to have a better understanding of some of the answers that my interviewee might come up with. My first interviewee helped me secure an interview with someone that he knew from Guinea and also happened to be a graduate student from Saint Cloud state university. Once in touch with my potential interviewee, I explained to him what I wanted to. He embraced the idea and we agreed on a time and place to conduct the interview which was Saturday November 3rd 2012, at noon, at the library of Saint Cloud state university.
On Tuesday October 30th 2012, I went to the Miller center library at Saint Cloud state university to reserve a room for my interview which I was able to conduct on Saturday 11-3-2012, at noon. On Thursday November 1st 2012, I went back to the library to check out a digital recorder and print my list of questions. In the evening of the same day, I called my interviewee to confirm our rendezvous of Saturday. He confirmed and stated that he was looking forward to it. I thanked him for the opportunity.
Prior to leaving my apartment to head out for my interview, I checked the recorder to make sure it was properly functioning and went through my list of questions. My interviewee Joe and I met at the library. I checked out a room then we went upstairs on the 2nd floor to conduct the interview. Once in the room, we sat across one another. I thanked Joe for taking time out of his busy schedule to meet with me and allowing conducting this interview. I offered him something to drink coffee, tea, hot chocolate… He declined the offer as he had some tea prior to leaving his place.
Before starting the interview, I started getting acquainted with Joe by talking about his hobbies, things that he likes about living in the United States, the weather, the presidential election, sport favorite places in town, etc…
Interviewee bio:
Joe. S is originally from Guinea. He’s 33 years old and a graduate in accounting from SCSU. He’s currently a small business owner in town. He owns a small African market and a Laundromat. Joe left Guinea in 1998 for the United States to pursue his studies. He started in Philadelphia for two years then moved to Saint Cloud where college tuition and rent were more affordable. He was able to find a job at Electrolux at first, then Quebecor while attending school on full-time basis. Joe paid all of his college tuition without any assistance from relatives or the government.
I was delighted to have met him and to have learned about his different experiences in America.
Interview report:
Joe was very easy to approach and pleasant to be around. I thanked him for making time out of his busy and very demanding schedule. I handed him a list of my questions that he viewed and stated that they were good questions. We spent over 5 to 10 minutes talking about things and topics such as sport and his hobbies. Joe was very knowledgeable about worldwide topics, and comes across as someone that I won’t be surprised to see in politics.
Joe was able to help me gain some valuable information on Guinea, on the people, the culture, tradition, religion and politics. His English was more than perfect as he spoke clearly and one can barely notice his accent.
The interview lasted about 45 very interesting minutes where we both enjoyed the interaction and were able to cover all the questions from the list that I handed to him before the interview. Joe’s answers were very similar to the answers that I obtained from my first interviewee which did and didn’t surprise me at times. It surprised me, because I was expecting something little different as each individual might have a different view on certain topics. It didn’t surprise me, as it came to my mind that the two of them grew up in the same city and probably shared similar experiences.
I was very pleased with the outcome of this interview, as it served me as a cross reference for my first interview and I was also able to get the answers for the questions that I didn’t have a chance to ask during the first interview as well.
Country report:
  
Formerly known as French Guinea, Guinea is an old French colony. It became officially independent on October 2, 1958 after a referendum was held on September 28, 1958 and the people of Guinea chose their independence rather than staying under the French colonial system. Ahmed Sekou Touré, first president of Guinea (1958-1984) led the fight for independence with many other heroes of the country. Guinea is bordered on the west by the Atlantic Ocean, on the north by Guinea-Bissau, Senegal and Mali, on the south by Liberia, Sierra Leone and Ivory Coast. The country is divided in four (4) natural regions: Lower Guinea (French: Basse Guinée), Middle Guinea (Moyenne Guinée), Upper Guinea (Haute Guinée), and Forest Guinea (Guinée Forestière). French is the official language of the country and multiple dialects such as: Susu, Fula, Mandingo, Kissi, Toma etc…. are also spoken in Guinea. Due to the fact that my father and my mother are from different ethnic groups, as the population of Guinea consists of around 24 ethnic groups. The Fulani represent 40% of the population, the Mandingo 30%, the Soussou 20%, 10% of other small ethnic groups. I am able to speak my father’s dialect which is Mandingo, my mother’s Fula, and Susu as I was born in Conakry the capital and largest city where Susu is the dominant dialect. People are very friendly and welcoming in Guinea. 85% of the population is Muslim, 10% Christian, 5% Animist. Religion plays a big part in people’s way of life, as families focuses on their kid’s religious education on top of the school one. Football (soccer) is the most popular sport in Guinea. Guinean cuisine is quiet unique and tasty. Some of the popular dishes are grilled meat and fish along with a spicy sauce served over rice. Music holds a very important place in the heart of Guineans as they are a happy people.  

 
Guinea has a population estimated at about 10 million people and the climate is a tropical humid climate. The current president is Alpha Condé and the regime is a presidential regime with the president having pretty much all the power. There’s a national assembly for checks & balances but it is controlled by the seating president .There’s an opposition , but they seem to be more concern about trying to be next in power than fighting to bring changes to have a stable democracy .
Information obtained during my trip in Guinea (2008).
WORK CITED : (1) (2) www.google.com

 
Interview transcript:

Interviewer:  M.Touré / ENGL 191 Fall 2012
Interviewee: Joe.S (Alumni of SCSU) from Guinea
Interview date: Saturday November 3, 2012 / SCSU library
Me: Joe I would like to thank you for taking time out of your busy and demanding schedule to help me conduct this interview. I appreciate the opportunity. How are you today?
Joe: It’s my pleasure and you don’t have to thank me for it. I was a student and I understand what comes with it. I am delighted to be with you and conduct this interview, as M.S told me lots of good things about you.
Me: I am flattered and appreciate the compliments. How’s business going?
Joe: Praises be to Allah, it is going well. I have many international students coming to shop at the store and do their laundry as well in the Laundromat.
Me: I am happy to hear that. I think that it was an excellent idea to open a store in Saint Cloud with African items, food, etc... Thanks to you, I don’t have to drive to the cities no more just to go get some ingredients or other items that I need. Was it difficult for you to open your business?
Joe: Thank you. Actually, I was in the same predicament .So, after graduating, I decided to take my chances by opening a small grocery store in town hoping that students and other people won’t have to drive all the way to the cities just for the groceries that they need while cooking African food . As far as difficulties, Things went pretty smoothly .No issues or concerns…
Me: Can you tell me about a typical day at the store?
Joe: I usually get at the store around 9.30 am. I move few things around, clean up, and get ready for opening at 10am. Customers usually start coming around 10 30 -11 and the day goes from there until I close at 7 pm.
Me: Joe, what do you do when you are free from the store?
Joe: I enjoy playing soccer, throwing a BBQ with friends, going to music concerts, watching movies and such …
Me: How was the transition for you, coming from a sunny and warm place to this cold place?
Joe: Man… It was tough at first. I started questioning myself and at times, I was ready to go some place warm. But, I kept reminding myself that I was here to finish school and save money.
Me: What was helpful to you during that tough period?
Joe: Calling home to talk to my family, making new friends, driving to the cities to meet other Guineans and eating some Guinean dishes.
Me: Are you a good cook?
Joe: Oh yeah! I can mix few things.
Me: I think I am a better cook than you are. I’ll like to challenge you on that.
Joe: laugh… Anytime, anyplace…
Me: Laugh… It’s on my friend
Me: Could you tell me about yourself?
Joe: I am Joe. S, I am originally from Guinea. I have a BA in Accounting from SCSU. I currently own a grocery store and a Laundromat in town. I enjoy playing soccer, watching the news on TV
Me: What are some of your long term plans?
Joe: Well, I am hoping to maintain my business in town as the city is growing and being more diverse .When all my plans will fall in place, I am hoping to try other business adventures in town such as opening an authentic African restaurant.
Me: How would you compare your life in Guinea to your life in Saint Cloud?
Joe: Well, Guinea is home. I have my family and friends over there. But, I was able to complete my education in this town and open two businesses in it.
Me: Is there anything you would like to share with me about the history of Guinea?
Joe: Guinea is an old French colony (60 years of colonization). The country became independent on October 2nd 1958. The French’s did really like the fact that the people of Guinea decided to become independent and take control of their own destiny. They made things very difficult for the young Guinean regime by plotting against them and boycotting the young economy of the country.
Me: How would you compare the political system of Guinea to the United States political system?
Joe: In Guinea, we have a presidential regime where pretty much everything is the hands of the president. Checks & Balances only exist by name; they are not enforced due to the president only appointing people who are loyal to him. The president is elected for 5 years renewable once. The majority of the population is uneducated, so they have a tribal political allegiance which is very unfortunate.
People are more educated in the United States and the system of Checks & Balances is well enforced.
Me: What do you find as fascinating about the United States?
Joe: It’s the land of opportunity. I came with nothing, and today I am a small business owner.
Me: What do you find as differences between the American culture and yours?
Joe: In my country, people are more respectful of the traditions of our ancestors. People are more religious and family oriented. While in America, I feel like there’s this careless attitude about certain things… People only refer to religion when things don’t go their way and I noticed that young people don’t have much respect for their parents.
Me: What’s a typical day like for a student in Guinea?
Joe: Waking up at 7 am for breakfast (bread with butter and milk); School at 8 am -12 pm (1st break at 10am, 2nd at noon). Back to class at 1pm till 4pm (break at 2.30). Sport activities after school, playing with friends, helping with chores at home then homework. Supper at 7 pm then some TV and bedtime at 8.30-9pm .
Me: Based on your success story, would you advise other Guineans to come to St.Cloud?
Joe: Most definitely. Like I was telling you earlier, this town has been good to me and I strongly believe if someone is motivated and has goals, sky is the limit.
Me: What do you miss from home?
Joe: Man, I miss my mom’s cooking, the warm weather, beautiful sandy beaches, the pretty Guinean ladies…
Me: Do you have any questions for me Joe?
Joe: No. I just would like to say that it was a great pleasure to do this with you M.T, and you are a very bright young man with a bright future ahead of you.
Me: All the pleasure was mine Joe. I can’t thank you enough for allowing me to conduct this interview with you .Thank you for the compliments, as I am flattered by them.
Joe: Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment