Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Leo Topic assignment : Plagiarism

I chose plagiarism as topic to write about on this blog . I found it very interesting to write about as it happens everywhere around the world ,but the punishment for it is not as severe as other forms of crime.

I would like to start by giving my readers three different definition of plagiarism that I found during the research that I conducted on this topic :

  • Plagiarism: "When writers intentionally or unintentionally present another person's words, ideas, or work as their own" Leo.stcloudstate.edu/research/plagiarism.htm 9/5/12
  • Plagiarism:"Wrongful appropriation" "Close imitation" "Purloining and Publication" of another authors language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions and the representation of them as one's own original work" en.wikipedia.org/wiki/plagiarism 9/5/12
  • Plagiarism: "Act or instance of using or closely imitating the language and thoughts of another author without authorization and representation of that author's work as one's own, as by not crediting the original author" Dictionary.reference.com/browsw/plagiarism 9/5/12
To best illustrate these definitions , I could use this example : "For students, it will be passing off another student paper or work as their own " Leo.stcloudstate.edu/reseach/plagiarism 9/5/12
There's a recent case of plagiarism that happened with a famous journalist Fareed Zakaria of CNN where he used another author's work without using as reference .This act led to his suspension from the network and will probably hurt his credibility from now on . To best reflect my thoughts , this article " A scandal Threatens Zakaria's Image as a Media Star" from the New York Times written by CHRISTINE HAUGNEY, August,19,2012 is a good illustration of it . 9/5/12

Some best ways to avoid plagiarism will be to always use quotation  marks when using someone else's work and always cite it as reference . When working on a assignment, avoid waiting until the last minute to do the work or you'll probably end up imitating another person's work and doing plagiarism.

Finally, I would like to bring awareness about this topic ,as others have certainely tried before me. I am hoping that whoever reads my blog will end up passing on the knowledge to others.

Mo


No comments:

Post a Comment